Saturday, April 02, 2005

Job Seeking

Recently I applied for a senior position. I was offered an interview and tentatively accepted. The increase in pay was minimal since my current pay falls halfway in the pay range for this senior position - I would get a 5 percent increase. About 3 days after I accepted the interview, an alarm went off in my head. The added responsibility was not worth the additional increase pay, plus this was not the path I was considering. Sure I want to become a Senior Planner, but not at any cost. I decided to withdraw from the competition.

When I returned to work from March Break, I spoke to the Manager, with whom I have an excellent working relationship (I worked as his assistant for two summers) and respect (the feeling is mutual). I explained my reasoning and ensured him that it had nothing to do with him, it just wasn't what I wanted to do. He reluctantly accepted and mentioned I just made it easier for the remaining three candidates.

No comments: