Sunday, September 11, 2005

Being Sick During the Summer

The past three weeks have been a loss. I've been sick with pneumonia. Yes, pneumonia. Every time I mention that to people I get a long pause and they repeat what I said. It's not the end of the world. People still seem to have this image that if you have pneumonia that you are either bed-ridden or in the hospital. The fact is that some people that actually have pneumonia many not know it. The symptoms are so mild that they think it is a cold or allergies.

I've been prescribed some antibiotics to kill the bacteria and two inhalers to help me breathe. Each day is getting better, but getting to sleep is still a major headache. Every time I lay down I start coughing, forcing me to find accommodation elsewhere in the house. I discovered that if I lay a certain way on the downstairs couch, I cough very little and it is comfortable enough for me to fall asleep. I have a follow-up with my Doctor in a week. I hope I can kick this so I can start doing stuff around the house.