Monday, October 24, 2005

Annual Check-up

I had my annual physical at my family doctor's practice today. After all the mandatory checks and, um, probes, my doctor examined my lab results and noted that my good cholesterol - HDL - was low. He referenced an chart and noted that I had a 2% chance of heart disease over the next 10 years. I was told to exercise 30 minutes at least 5 times a week, eat better and lose weight. No medication was prescribed. He also went over the results of my pulmonary function test (in response to my recent bout of pneumonia and some questionable x-ray results). My volume was good, but it was noted that I had some minor obstructions deep in my lungs. The good news was the obstructions will correct themselves over time (most likely related to the pneumonia and/or a case of minor asthma) and based on the results, my doctor ruled out fibrosis. It took about an hour for the complete exam and discussion, but it was well worth it. Everyone should have an annual physical/medical. It could save your life.