Tuesday, June 06, 2006

No Expert Testimony Today

I was scheduled to testify at an Ontario Municipal Board hearing today as an expert in land use planning. A home owner sought a minor variance from the zoning by-law to relocate a garage door that would 3.2 metres from the lot line. The by-law requirement is 6.0 metres. The Committee of Adjustment approved the request. A property owner across the street appealed and here we are today.

Originally, I was to testify that the minor variance satisfied four tests. However, the appellant hired a planner and she testified first. After hearing her testimony, I told legal counsel for the City that I agree with the appellants land use planner. Legal counsel decided that she would not put me on the stand. That is the first time that has happened to me.