Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I Am Alive

Yes, I know that it was been over three weeks since my last post. I was on vacation for two of those week. The first week of vacation was kid-free. The oldest boy was at camp and the youngest was at my mothers. I took advantage of this by doing a number of projects around the house, including cleaning the carpets, patching and painting the walls and installing shelves in the boys room. I also managed to complete the assembly of the entertainment/storage unit in the basement - all that is left to do is to install the doors and buy a big screen tv ;)

The second week involved a mini-vacation in Mississauga and visiting the CN Tower and Marineland with the wife and the boys. The rest of the week was a write-off. It got very hot and humid, making outdoor chores next to impossible. And to be honest, I didn't have the motivation to do much in the house - I was on vacation afterall.

During this time I picked up Season 1 of Scrubs and Season 1 of Battlestar Galactica. We went back in time with Scrubs since we already had Seasons 2 and 3. The wife saw Season 1 in the store so we picked it up. Battlestar Galactica is a show that I kept seeing bits off but never a full episode. I made it a 'mission' to get the first season - which includes the mini-series - when I got a chance. We watched the episodes over a 4 day period, and we have to say that the show is awesome. The writing is the best out there. We looking forward to Season 2 on DVD. I just a preview of Season 3 online and I can't wait till it is broadcast in Canada.

I'm still playing the Blogshares game, but I'm getting a little tired of buying and selling. A part of me wants to sell or gift my holdings and go on an artefact rampage through the holdings of several players, partially for revenge, partially to shake the game up. People are getting far too complacent and too worried about their rank and status in the game. Others seem to think that they it is their god given right to own a blog forever. I predict me wreaking havoc in the near future and then taking a sabbatical from the game.

I'm giving up on vegetable gardening at least for 2007. The only things taking are corn and tomatoes. The peppers are struggling. I had no luck with carrots, radishes, green onions and watermelon. I've never seen the vegetable garden this bad. I'll probably have to get a soil analysis and find out what to add it to make the plants grow. I've been adding compost and top soil every year, but this year is a wash.

I really need to work on the corner of the front yard and the bed along Rivard. I want to build a small retaining wall - about 12 inches high - to discourage people from cutting across our law. I also need to out in some edging along the Rivard bed so that I can discourage kids from walking and sitting in the bed and to be able to add a bunch of mulch to keep the ground moist. I'll also be adding a soaker hose under the mulch to water the shrubs and perennials.

No comments: