Thursday, April 17, 2008

Windows Vista - Indexing Service and PresentationFontCache

Recently, I turned off Indexing Service and HP Health Check Service. I have no use for the Indexing Service - I rarely search for files on my computer - and the HP Health Check Service, is a complete joke.

FontCache3.0.0.0 seemed to be using up resources for no apparent reason. Given multiple CPUs, powerful graphic cards and large amounts of RAM and HD, is it really necessary to cache fonts in memory? So I stopped the service and set it to manual.

Ever since doing these three things, I have noticed a decrease in RAM usage and much less HD churning. The way I look at it, by ending those services, I freed up RAM that Vista can use to cache programs that I use frequently.

Seems like an acceptable trade off.