Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Shine Has Worn Off

I've been working full-time in site plan control for over a week. Still not 100% sure what I am doing, but for the most part is seems to be a large bureaucracy that likes to generate a lot of stuff with not much value.

Of course, my immediate supervisor and the Acting Site Plan Approval Officer are away on vacation. That leaves me and two support staff. Naturally, my manager comes to me to find files or setup meetings. Why are you delegating to me when you could go directly to the support staff to find the file and setup the meeting?

I've been working for the city for over 10 years, and you want me to find a file and setup a meeting? You want an employee who earns twice as much as a clerk to do the work of the clerk? My manager just does not get it.